Why can’t I connect?
First of all Spaceteam is a local multiplayer game, so you can’t play by yourself and there is no automatic matchmaking. You need to play with at least one other person and you should all be in the same physical location so you can hear each other :)
Here are some connection tips:
- Make sure all the devices are running the latest version of Spaceteam, currently version 2.7, but maybe higher if I haven't updated this page recently... :)
- Make sure everybody is using the same connection method: Wifi, Bluetooth, or Internet
- If using Wifi:
- Make sure everyone is on the same Wifi network
- If you're using a public Wifi network (eg. at a school or café) then there are potential issues with some Wifi routers not supporting “multicast protocols”, or having “wireless isolation” turned on (which allows devices to connect to the internet, but not each other). If you can't connect with Wifi please try a different connection mode.
- If using Bluetooth:
- Make sure everyone has Bluetooth enabled in their system settings
- Make sure everyone is using an Android device OR everyone is using an iOS device. Bluetooth doesn't work cross-platform.
- If using Internet:
- Make sure everyone is using the same Team Password. This is just a code that you decide on with your team so your devices can find each other.
- Sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get everyone in the Waiting Room. If one person is left spinning in the vortex for more than about 15 seconds while the others are in the Waiting Room, that one person should Cancel and dial Play again.
- Sometimes, rebooting your device might help...
- If all else fails, you can try using one of your phones as a Wifi Hotspot and have everyone connect to that instead. This is called "Personal Hotspot" on iOS and "Mobile Hotspot" or something similar on Android.
- If you have a larger group playing (eg. in a tournament or a classroom) then you might consider getting/borrowing a cheap Wifi router and setting it up as a dedicated network for Spaceteam games. It doesn't even need to be connected to the internet, just power.
Why is it asking for Location and Camera permissions?
Location permission is required by the Bluetooth connection method. It only uses "Coarse Location" rather than "Fine Location" and your position is not stored or recorded.
The Camera can be used to log into the Admiral's Club Member's Area by scanning your membership card.
The Camera is also used if you turn on "FailCam" mode in Upgrades -> Settings. It will try to take a photo of your face at the moment your ship crashes and present it at the end of the game.
The camera data is not otherwise stored or transmitted.
How do I “flip” to avoid wormholes??!
You all need to hold your devices upside-down (top facing the floor) at the same time. The game will also recognize screen-facing-the-floor for those of you who play with your devices flat :)
If you're still having trouble with this on your Android phone, then it's possible you have the motion sensor turned off in your system settings. Try to find a setting called "Motion" or "Gyroscope" and make sure it is turned ON.
Translator Malfunction is hard
Yes. My advice:
- Use educated guesses based on the unique properties of the controls (eg. if the instruction says to set something to 7 and you only have one control that goes to 7, that’s it)
- Watch for the “success” feedback after changing a control (the panel will glimmer and a sound will play if changed successfully)
- Once you’ve figured out a couple of names, try to remember which controls they map to.
- Don’t be afraid to button mash a bit. You won’t lose any progress by pressing the wrong buttons, you’ll just get more chaos/breakage on your screen.
Will there be a version for Windows Phone?
Not any time soon I'm afraid. I just don't have the time, resources, or experience to do the port myself and since Spaceteam doesn't make a lot of money I can't justify paying someone to help.
What happened to the Apple TV version?
The Apple TV version is no longer compatible with version 2.0 and higher and unfortunately I don't have time to update it. I haven't figured out how to remove it from the Apple TV store now that it has been published so it's still there for now.